Thursday, September 17, 2009

Water and Electronics The Perfect Mix!

Wanted to show everyone the underbelly of the madness, so you can get an idea of what it takes to do a planted tank this size. Plus show off a few of my new toys!

I added a much more substantial Co2 reactor Below (something that mixes Co2 into the water so the plants can breathe). It works by inserting the Co2 at the top of the container and the water moves past the little black balls, crushing the Co2 into the water.
The pump and the Co2 bottle that fuel the reactor (I had the pump sitting in a closet waiting for my Reef aquarium that I can't afford to build! Which in hindsight is a really good thing because I am learning so much about Plant life=Corals before I spend really crazy $$)

The PH controller. This little guy monitors the PH therefore controlling your Co2 level. PH has a direct relationship with the amount of Co2 in your tank. It has a direct power supply that controls the solenoid valve (Fancy word for on/off switch) to the Co2 bottle (which you can see in the picture above, its the little grey thing with the hoses coming out of the top of the Co2 bottle)

My PH is 7.0 good to know right!

Last but not least a little thing we in the hobby call an electrical drip line. This is important here so pay attention. Do not leave your electrical power strip on the ground as water tends to crawl down the lines and find its way to the source and fry your fish. So we mount it up in the air, proving once and for all that that guy Newton, well I think he was on to something.
And Yes those are a zip ties! And yes I was being Lazy!

And last but not least (yet another closet edition waiting for the Reef) NIGHT LIGHTS!
Its a 1W Led that simulates Moonlight at what is supposed to be the correct wave length! Don't laugh but its supposed to make your fish horny. Smart people have linked the mating habits of fish to the moon cycle. I have read many articles that say it works!
I took some other fish pictures so make sure and check those when you get a chance. Next post will probably be about water parameters. (exciting I know but oh so important)

Anyone on feedback are these to complicated, long, boring, not funny enough? Please let me know if I can do anything to change the style up a bit to make it better.

2 comments: